Home > Learning @GESPS > Mathematics
Our Math programmes focus on fostering the joy in the learning of Mathematics. With problem solving as the core of Singapore Mathematics Curriculum, students can develop in their skills in solving mathematical problems through a range of situations which includes non-routine, open-ended and real-world problems.
Equipping Our Students with Rigorous Learning Experiences
Teaching and Learning Approach for Mathematics
To help our students build a strong foundation in Mathematics, our lessons are planned in a structured teaching sequence.
Students will go through 3 phases of learning during a mathematics lesson, i.e. Readiness, Engagement and Mastery phases.
- During the Readiness phase, teachers use activities to check on students’ prior knowledge to customise lessons according to students' abilities.
- In the Engagement phase, different pedagogical approaches are used to engage students in learning new concepts and skills. They are mainly hands-on activities and collaborative learning activities. Students are encouraged to communicate and articulate their ideas.
Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract (CPA) Approach to teaching Mathematics:
- In the Mastery phase, learning is reinforced through practices, games, math journal and performance tasks.
- Mathematical concepts are taught using the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract (CPA) approach. Students engage in hands-on activities using concrete materials and manipulatives to help them make sense of the concepts they are learning.
- Visual representations of the concrete manipulatives are then introduced to help students visualize the mathematical concepts.
- Finally, algorithms and symbols are used to represent the concepts in numerical operations. This CPA approach benefits all students as it slowly builds on students’ understanding of mathematical concepts in a progressive manner.
Embracing the Environment for Joy of Learning
We believe in creating a conducive learning environment and engaging our students with the right learning experiences to make the learning of mathematics fun and purposeful.
We use the environment as a 3rd Teacher to provide opportunities for children to make their thinking visible and deepen learning and increase engagement.
Math with Towkay Di Assembly Programme
The assembly programme highlights how mathematics is applicable in our daily lives and certain mathematical misconceptions students through dramatization.
Stretched and Enrichment Programme
These programmes are held after school to motivate students in the learning of Mathematics based on their abilities. Activities include math games and multiplication challenge.
Empowering Our Students To Use Mathematics
We empower our students to use what they have learnt in their lessons through a variety of fun and engaging activities.
Level Signature Programmes
The programmes are conducted across subjects to promote collaborative learning among students and to enable students to make connections across the different subjects.
To better challenge and stretch students who are passionate in Mathematics, selected students can take part in the Singapore Math Olympiad Competitions to broaden their horizons.